How can we help?
How to wear your hair under a wig
There are many different ways to prepare the hair. We want you to get the most out of your wig and to feel comfortable with your new look.
The methods listed below are for all types of hair. It’s best to experiment with different methods and see which ones work best for you.
We advise you to use a wig cap, they come in nylon or mesh cotton. A wig cap helps to keep your hair in place and create a smoother base for your wig to sit. You can brush out any fine hairs from the hairline using a lash wand. As you may prefer to have fine hairs blend in with the hairline. However if you do not have hair you can skip this step, as they may irritate your scalp.
1. Section the hair in two, down the centre from hairline to nape of the neck.
2. Comb the hair away from the face, keeping the hair as flat as possible to the scalp and then get 2 sections of hair and braid/plait.
3. With the two braids/plaits, take one each and crisscross them over. And attach them to the head along the nape of the neck. Securing with bobby pins as you go. Keeping the braids as flat as possible.
4. Place a wig cap over your prepared hair ready to put on your wig.
Big pin curls method
Make 6 big pin curls, section the hair off, 1 at the crown of the head, 2 at the sides on the temples, 1 in the centre at the nape of the neck, 2 on each side at the nape.
Alternatively you can take smaller sections and do pin curls all over the head.
Securing with 2 or more bobby/kirby pins.
Small pin curls method
1. Take a section of hair and wrap around your index and middle finger.
2. Hold the ends with your thumb to hold in place.
3. Remove your fingers and manipulate the curl to lie flat, then with bobby/kirby pins secure the curl in a criss-cross pattern. If you need more pins that’s fine, as long as it is comfortable and not bulky.
4. Place a wig cap over your prepared hair ready to put on your wig.
The wraparound method
1. Take a section of hair at the crown of the head. Wrap around into a pin curl.
2. Separate the rest of the hair into 4 sections. 2 at the front and 2 at the back.
3. Starting with one section at the back, take the hair and wrap it around at the side of the hair that forms the pin curl at the crown of the head. Adding pins as you go.
4. Repeat with the other three sections wrapping the hair around, like a cinnamon swirl.
5. Place a wig cap over your prepared hair ready to put on your wig.
1. Twist the front sections into some pin curls, or simply secure hair away from the forehead with bobby/kirby pins or toupee clips.
2. Comb the bulk of the hair to the nape of the neck, and pin down any loose ends.
3. Place the wig cap over your prepared head ready to put on your wig.
If you have any questions or would like to share your own methods, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Washing a synthetic wig
Does your wig need a refresh?
Do you think it’s come to the end of its days?
Washing your wig depends on how often you wear it.
Synthetic fibres absorb pollution the same way human hair does, we recommend you wash your wig every 5-10 wears.
NOTE:- Washing everyday will just shorten the lifespan of the wig.
It is strongly advised to use a special wig shampoo and conditioner, as human hair products can be to harsh on synthetic hair. A baby shampoo can be used as a alternative as these are very gentle. We have seen a tip about conditioning a wig with fabric softener, but we strongly advise against this! As these to can be too harsh for synthetic wigs.
You will need:
A wide tooth comb, wig brush such as a loop bristle or metal brush with round ended pins.
A bowl, or a sink for water.
Wig shampoo and conditioner.
Wig Leave in conditioner.
A clean towel.
Detangling and preparing the hair
1. First you will need to remove any tangles and knots from the wig. Use a wide toothed comb or metal/loop specialised brush, starting from the ends of the hair, brush in a downward motion. Finishing at the roots.
NOTE: Never comb or brush a wet wig as this causes breakage!
2. Add tepid water to the bowl. Tepid water is advised as this will help hold the style.
Hot water may reduce the definition of curls or waves.
NOTE: Never use very hot/boiling water as this could melt the fibers and cause breakage!
3. Add a small amount of shampoo, to the water and mix into the water. Immerse the wig into the water, leave to soak for a few minutes. Use gentle squeezing actions to loosen dirt and debris, you can use a soft toothbrush along the circumference of the wig to help to remove glue, or tape residue.
NOTE: Never wring out the wig, as this may cause breakage to the cap and hair.
4. Next rinse the wig in cold water to remove any soapy residue.
Fill the bowl with cold water or rinse under a running tap. Rinse by gently squeezing the wig, do this until the water runs clear.
5. Squeeze excess water out of the wig with your hands.
Then place the wig on a towel, fold the dry towel over the wig to absorb any excess water.
6. Add a small amount of conditioner, work it through the hair and leave for a few minutes. Then repeat the rinsing process.
NOTE: Leave in conditioner sprays, work wonders on synthetic hair. Providing moisture, they are excellent for wigs, in between washes to help detangle and reduce static.
7. Next step is to dry the wig, it’s best to place the wig on a headstand, this allows the air to move freely through the style and dry quicker.
NOTE: Do not dry a wig on a mannequin head, as this may stretch the construction cap when wet. And never put on a radiator, as they will be too hot.
You can use a hairdryer BUT as for longer styles they may become tangled. When using a hairdryer it must be on the low setting for heat. Ideally with an air concentrator fixed to the nozzle for better control.
Once your wig is completely dry, wear as it is or style the wig as you please, see How to heat style a synthetic wig.
Heat styling a synthetic wig
Wigs are a blessing when it comes to no fuss hair, with a style that’s set to perfection. However that doesn’t mean you can’t get creative with different looks. Sometimes, you just love the colour but wish you could have some big, bouncy curls or waves instead of the sleek look it came with.
The good news is, all Lush Wigs are heat resistant, meaning they can be styled with a heat tool safely up to 140°C (284°F). This is a low setting on most hair tools, and if the hair tool you have doesn’t have adjustable temperature we don’t recommend you use it to style synthetic hair.
How to prepare synthetic hair for heat styling
The synthetic fibers in our wigs, need to be protected. To prolong the life and condition of the fibers. We recommend a leave in conditioner and heat protection spray for synthetic hair. These are sprayed and combed through the hair before applying heat.
NOTE:- Be careful to not apply these products and heat directly to the roots of the wig, as these factors can cause the synthetic hair to loosen away from the construction cap. As with your own scalp treat this area with care.
Note:- Many are available for human and synthetic hair, meaning you don’t have to double up on products for each. And some leave in conditioners act as a heat protector, so always check the label.
If you’re using a polystyrene or canvas wig head to style your wig, its handy to use a couple of dressmakers pins, insert two at the front, but be careful with lace front wigs as we don’t want to damage the lace, so apply pins further back. And a couple at the nape of the neck. To keep the wig in place as you style it.
Curling irons, wave wands and tongs.
If you’re creating curls, once you have wrapped the hair around the tool and released it. Pin it into a curl using a bobby pin or clip until the hair cools completely.
If you want looser curls, just hold the curl in your hand as it cools for a softer wave.
Fancy straight hair for a change. Our curly and wavy wigs have been transformed into sleek looks, with the use of a straightening iron. Just run the iron throughout the hair to smooth and create a sleek finish.
When using a hairdryer it must be on the lowest setting for heat. Ideally with an air concentrator fixed to the nozzle for better control. You can pin curl, braid or do the classic blow out, for sleek styles. Apply heat with the hairdryer to set the style, and allow to cool.
A hand held steamer can be used to set styles for synthetic hair. And are excellent for reviving and conditioning a wig.
Pin curls, metal rollers, pin waves, or combing a wig straight while applying steam, and then leaving to cool overnight, will set any style.
NOTE:- Metal combs, brushes and rollers are used as they are smoother for synthetic hair.
NOTE:- When using heated hair tools NEVER EXCEED 140.C / 284.F
Please take a look at our instagram page and enter the name of your wig along with @lushwigs to see what others have done with the styles for further inspiration.
Please note that this is always done at the customer’s own risk.
Returns cannot be accepted should any damage occur due to customer styling.
What countries do we deliver to?
We currently offer a fully tracked service to the following countries.
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom , United States ,
How much does shipping cost?
Country not listed? See a full list of where we ship to
2 working days
1 working day
|Next Day Guaranteed
1 working day
Am I able to apply for vat relief on my Lush Wig?
Yes, you are able to claim VAT relief on your wig purchase with Lush Wigs. If you are currently receiving chemotherapy, have alopecia or are chronically sick and have a disabling condition, you can claim VAT relief from this website.
You are able to claim back the VAT for each of your purchases as long as you qualify with any of the above conditions.
If for some reason you are unsure whether you can claim VAT relief, please contact your doctor for further clarification. You can also find useful advice by visiting HMRC Helpline website or call on 0300 123 1073, Option 1 for assistance.
Making a false declaration to the HMRC is fraudulent so please be sure that you qualify beforehand.
How do I claim VAT relief?
To claim VAT relief on your purchase just complete the declaration at the checkout stage of your order.
What products can I claim on?
You can claim VAT relief for any of our wigs and hairpieces. You are unable to claim VAT relief for any accessories.
How much is VAT relief?
The relief is currently 20%.
Terms and Conditions
VAT Relief Claims (Online) Under HMRC Reference: Notice 701/7 (August 2002)
- If you are eligible to reclaim VAT relief under the HMRC Reference: Notice 701/7 (August 2002), you can complete the form electronically during the checkout process.
- All orders must be placed by the person who is eligible to reclaim the VAT relief.
- Any incomplete relief information can prevent your order being processed correctly.
- VAT relief can only be applied to all qualifying items in your shopping basket at checkout.
- The online VAT Relief Claim Form is a personal declaration, electronically signing the form you are verifying that you are eligible to reclaim the VAT as defined in HMRC Reference: Notice 701/7 (August 2002).
- Please contact HMRC directly for all queries relating to eligibility.
- VAT relief claims under HMRC Reference: Notice 701/7 (August 2002) will not be processed for orders to the Channel Islands and outside the EU.
Can I return an item?
If you would like to return your wig or feel it is faulty then please get in touch first. We will then begin the returns process for you. Wigs returned without being pre-arranged with us will not be refunded.
The wig must be returned within 30 days of purchase. It must be returned with all original packaging and tags still attached. The wig must not have be worn, brushed or restyled in any way.
We accept you need to remove the wig from its bag to inspect whether the colour and style is suitable.
We will process your refund as soon as the item has arrived with us and has been inspected.
Please note: We cannot accept responsibility for any damages incurred when styling or washing your wig.